The Standish Church bells have a long and distinguished history.
The tenor bell, inscribed with the name of William Lawley, vicar, is apparently from Holy Trinity Church, Gloucester, and cast by Robert Hendley c. 1500. It was brought to Standish in or before 1651, when another bell was acquired. Two more bells, by Brian Eldridge of Coventry, were added in 1656, and by 1667 there were five bells. A bell of 1720 by Abraham Rudhall was added, and in 1748 the younger Abraham recast another.
All six bells, which had been out of order for 20 years, were rehung in 1930 by Gillett and Johnson, under the supervision of Bert Newton.
The 1930 rehanging
Back Row L-R: Ernest Greenway (Nupend), Dick Summers (Moreton Valence), Alban Mortimer (Harescombe), Roy Apperley (Moreton Valence),
Front Row L-R: (in white smock and boater) Les Hawkins (Moreton Valence), Alfred Townsend (Harescombe), Charlie Day (Frampton-on-Severn), Ken Marchant (Claypits), Albert Grainge (Whitminster), Bert Newton (Gillett and Johnson)
For further information on the bells see the entry on the Church of England Heritage Record
A team of local campanologists practise regularly and can provide peals for special occasions. For enquiries about joining the team as a ringer – or to arrange a peal for a special occasion – see under Contact