Standish Church History

From British History Online

Standish Church

As the mother church of a large parish that once included Hardwicke, Randwick, and Saul, and as a church that belonged to Gloucester Abbey, Standish church is likely to have been built many years before the first known reference to it c. 1188.

In 1684 Robert Frampton, then Bishop of Gloucester, became Vicar of Standish; when he was deprived of his bishopric as a non-juror the authorities connived at his retention of the vicarage, and he died at Standish in 1708. Read more…

The link to Edward II
There is a tradition that after Edward II was murdered at Berkeley Castle in 1327 his body rested overnight in Standish Church on the way to his burial in Gloucester Cathedral, but documentary support for this cannot be found earlier than 1889. However it does not seem unreasonable that a slow-moving cortege would find itself at Putloe, near Standish, as the day came to a close. Standish Lane, leading to the church from the main road to Gloucester (now the A38) would have provided a short detour. You can read an analysis of the claim – and the planting of several oak trees to commemorate the event HERE.

Powered by WordPress. Designed by WooThemes